One man's honest opinion about sports in the Motor City, and beyond.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Skiptarded...

I'm listening to Rome, and Skip Bayless is the guest host today. He not too long ago opened a discussion on the gruelingness of the NBA as compared to soccer. He said that soccer players "jog a lot" and there is a lot of injury time and what not. He claims to have based this opinion on actually watching soccer games. Well, Skip, either you are lying or an idiot. I may be a completely biased fan (of the NBA), but even I will tell you the "soccer players are in great shape" cliche is very very true. If you think it takes more endurance to play in the NBA than the World Cup of Soccer... you are an idiot... Or... you know nothing about sports... Or... in Skip's case... both.

Look, first of all... There are millions of play stoppages in the NBA... Timeouts... TV timeouts... injuries... fouls... turn overs.... Not to mention all the time spent standing around watching one player dribble the ball... Plus, players play about 8-9 minutes of game-time (which is actually 20 minutes of real time) and they are taken out. Again, I love basketball... I'm only pointing out the many flaws in Skip's statements. He says that soccer players jog a lot... Well, I would say 90% of the time in the NBA players are jogging... Not to mention that a full length sprint in the NBA would still only be a quarter of a soccer field...

Skip, for some reason, even brought up Shaq... as an argument in favor of the NBA... saying that Shaq has to hustle back on plays or get burned... Are you kidding me? The fact that one of the best players (top 10% of the league)... is fat and out of shape (and slow to begin with)... is basically all you need to make the case that soccer requires its players to maintain a much better physical condition.

While I am blogging in defense of soccer, which I was hoping I would never have to do... I would really like to raise the question... Why do American sports enthusiasts find it so worth their time to bash soccer? I don't understand... I mean, if you don't like it... don't watch it... Or complain mildly... if you really find it necessary... But some of the bashing is just out of hand... Especially the "soccer players fake injuries all the time and just whine"... Look, first of all... it really doesn't happen all that much... I've been watching the World Cup, and am actually surprised at how little it happens... I've just heard so many people say it on the Rome show... that I guess I thought it was true... I should have known better. Second, soccer is rougher than basketball in my opinion... and because I really don't feel like making that argument... I will say that at the least... they are equal... and if you have watched the NBA in the last 2 years, you would be aware of the new mandatory argument rule... After every foul call... in order to avoid further penalties... the player who committed the foul must passionately argue the call (a.k.a whine about it)... Or, if you are slightly touched by an opposing player... you must throw your hands up, stagger backwards, and yelp... Also, if you are Dwyane Wade, you must fall to the ground after every shot...

I don't know... One last time... I am a basketball "slappy"... but, as a sports nut, still a fan of soccer... I don't watch it all the time, but I do enjoy a World Cup match or two... and I really like playing the game... But, more importantly... I hate stupid people... who make things up in order to bring their point home... Sorry Skip... but, you are wrong about soccer...

One Last Thing: Skip said that baseball is more exciting than soccer - if you understand the game... Obviously, you can say the same about soccer; yet he combats that by saying he has tried to figure soccer out and can't... Well, Skip - that is your fault... and no... baseball is not more exciting than soccer... Baseball is extremely boring in fact... That is not to say I don't enjoy baseball... because I do... grew up playing it... but an objective viewer would confirm the boringness of baseball.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home